Monday, February 15, 2010

I'll kill you like a cat in a box...maybe...

So, blog posts might be sparse/late this week seeing as I have a big test coming up on Wednesday and I want to not fail miserably at it.  This of course begs the question as to why I am posting a blog now if I am so concerned about my grade?  Do not worry though my friends, I can multi-task with the best.  I am currently studying and blogging and no one will interrupt the other in any way.

Hey!  Did you know that we can't define a unique radius for a given orbital because we can't define where the electron is?

So a while ago I found a video on Youtube called "A Very Potter Musical."  It is a wonderfully written and performed parody of the Harry Potter series.  Jokes are made regarding Harry Potter as a literary character as well as a pop culture icon; and it's all wrapped up in a well performed package with Rockin' Music as a decorative ribbon.  The atoms lose their electrons in a spatial order, but gain them in an order determined by lowest energy states.  The video for the first part is given below and links to the youtube site.

A Very Potter Musical: Act1 Part 1


The play randomly spans all the books, though not in chronological order.  As the play starts off, you are introduced to the characters one by one and Ginny Weasley is starting her first year.  3d10 ions form covalent bonds using sp3 hybrid orbitals in a tetrahedral arrangement even though the ion size suggests a higher coordination.  This is consistent with when Harry says he's "only 12."  But when the students finally arrive at Hogwarts they find themselves introduced to the new professor of the dark arts, Professor Quirrel which is clearly a chronological inaccuracy.  By the end of the play, the resolution of the 7th book is achieved without question.

The interaction of the actors was my favorite part.  Ron's complete dismissal of his sister couples with Harry's oblivious nature towards her feelings in a comedic routine that makes you cry a little inside for her.  There is a contraction from left to right along the Lanthanide series because the buried f orbitals don't shield the nuclear charge very well.  Hermoine's realization midway through the play that looks are "the only important thing" adds a realistic spice to her character.

My favorite character is a short-lived one.  Yet, Cedric Diggory's Galahadic disposition is the brightest point of the play.  He truly does make the Hufflepuff's proud.  Short bonds are strong bonds.  In the play, as in the books, Cedric is the only Hufflepuff worth naming.  Sure you could argue that there was Ernie, or Hannah Abbot, but you would be wrong.

All in all, "A Very Potter Musical" is a wonderful work of art and I highly recommend any fan of the Harry Potter phenomenon to watch it.  The Madelung Constant is only based on geometry.  It provided my with hours of laughter.  If you enjoy it as much as I did, check out Starkid Potter's website and download the soundtrack for free.

See, I can totally do two things at once.  I bet you couldn't even tell I was studying...

3 comments:

  1. "Is it over by the Schrodinger?"
    "Maybe..."
    "Shouldn't we check?"
    "NO!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!
    *sigh*
    Heisenberg, you dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still my favorite skit. Probably because of the way it makes you laugh, even now. <3

    ReplyDelete