Wednesday, February 3, 2010

When Bob Barker has a barbecue...

Honestly, today I'm not in much of a writing mood, but to stick with the Monday through Thursday schedule that I've kept with so far, here's another recipe that I stumbled across:

I have a cookbook by Jamie Oliver called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  It is a wonderful book that is filled with simple, affordable, and delicious recipes.  One such recipe is for garlic crusted chicken and it is delicious.  I have made it twice now and earlier this week I attempted to modify the recipe and see what came of it.  What came of is was a breading that was too wet and became a paste on the chicken.  On the bright side, that paste was delicious.  So I have inadvertently discovered a recipe similar to those little hush puppy balls that they use to have in the dining hall (Bob Barker says "remember to have your pets spayed or neutered").  Here's how it goes:

Ingredients:
  • Twelve Saltine Crackers
  • One bag of baby carrots
  • One sweet onion
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:

Place Crackers, two handfuls of baby carrots and one diced and peeled onion into a food processor.  Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
Pulse until you have finely chopped paste (The moisture from the carrots and the onion should make the paste just fine as I found out the hard way).
Get a relatively deep pan filled with enough olive oil to deep fry your dumplings.
Form the paste into balls using either your hands or the double spoon technique.
Drop the balls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
Enjoy!

Warning!  While I have had the above fried and on top of my chicken, I have not technically had this exact recipe as is.  I plan on trying it in the near future, but if something strange occurs (for instance-nuclear fusion) I am not to be held liable for damages.  Also when you get your Nobel prize for affordable and successful nuclear fusion, mention me if you don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment