Monday, March 8, 2010

Through Rain, or Sleet or Awesome Riffs...

SHORT PERSONAL STORY TIME!!!

So, I went to the post office the other day to mail some forms, for a thing.  If I said more than that, I wouldn't have to kill you.  I probably would anyway, but I wouldn't have to.

So I enter the university post office and wait in the line.  I look at the posters that plaster the walls as I approach the civil servant at the end of this line.  Usually, this is a cause of much stress for people because if you work for the government you have to HATE EVERYTHING EVER.  Not this man, though, he is a rebel.  He broke the mold with sheer force of will.  My lines will be in red-O-vision while the mailman's lines will be in surround blue

I get to the counter and place the envelope on the counter.  "I need this to get where it's going by the twelfth."  Without missing a beat he hands me a key.  Even my quick wits were taken aback.

" My truck is out front." 

Very witty Mailman.  I get your game.  Well, I bet you weren't prepared for...this!


"No thanks." Bazang!  Take THAT reply!


"What's wrong?  It's a good truck.  It's got a stick up here," he says, so nonchalantly while he motions to the right side of an imaginary steering wheel.  He's good, but I'm better.

"I don't know how to drive stick." I reply.  I'm sure I have him now.

"Why?"  Gasp!  The honesty of his question strikes to my very core.  But I am not beaten yet!  I will fight honesty with honesty!

"Just never learned, I guess"

"Why?"

"I don't know, I guess I should learn."

"You will learn." He corrects me.  

"I will learn." I agree, "My girlfriend drives stick.  I'll have her teach me."  I've definitely recovered from my stumble earlier.  But then he changes the subject on me, trying to throw me of guard.

"Lighthouse."

"Pardon?"
"Eh, you're to young to know this song" The radio!  He's referring to the radio!
"It's sounds familiar." Now he's playing a little air guitar while he talks.
"It's a good song.  You should teach your girlfriend how to play guitar."
"I'll have to learn myself first."  Oh no!  I've left myself open again!  But I have time to recover, my reflexes are quick.
"I will learn how to play guitar." We say at the same time (Hence the Purple-ization).
He smiles.
I smile
"Have a nice day"
"You too"

I leave, having battled to a stalemate against a worthy opponent.  Now I just need to learn how to drive stick and play guitar.

2 comments:

  1. He's like if Yoda worked at a post office, and decided to just give random words of wisdom instead of teaching people how to use the force and save the galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn to drive stick, you will. *sage nod*

    I'm sure your girlfriend wouldn't mind teaching you. I bet she'll be way more helpful and laid back as a teacher than HER mother was when she was trying to learn.

    ReplyDelete