Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fan-faction

Today's Wiki Wednesday is brought to you in fictional narrative (0-vision).

I was at the top of my game; top of the world even.  Not only was I the newly crowned champion, but I had beaten that ass-wipe grandson of the professor once and for all.  As I left the walked back through the final battle arena, I remembered the difficult opponents I had faced.  I walked back down those stairs that had seemed so endless before.  It was all too short before I stepped out into the sunlight again.

I don't know what I had expected.  It had always been a journey with just me and my six best friends.  When I stepped into the midst of that cheering crowd I was taken aback.  People kept shaking my hand, patting me on the back: I even got a few hair tousles.  As I reached the waterfall entrance I turned around and looked at the crowd.  I don't know what they expected of me, but I just wanted some peace and quiet at that point.  And maybe a soda.

I'm the champion now.  This just comes with the territory I thought, If I'm going to leave--and I am--I can't leave them disappointed.  I guess I'll have to do something champion-worthy.  
As if it were the most natural thing in the world, I threw both fists into the air.  The crowd cheered my simple action.  While the applause was at it's peak, I fell.

I leaned backward and fell right off the cliff.  I couldn't hear the gasps and screams from so far above; only the wind in my ears.  I reached into my vest, grabbing the one ball I knew I needed and shouted as I had so many times before

"I CHOOSE YOU, PIDGEOTTO!!!"

One of my best friends burst forth in the sky and caught me on his back.  We flew straight upwards, past the screaming crowd and off into the sunset.  I leaned back, enjoyed the silence, and let my pidgeotto lead the way.

When we finally landed, I immediately recognized the town from early in my journey.  An old, familiar face ran up to me excitedly.  I opened my mouth to say hi, but before I could he had grabbed my arm and run with me into some tall grass.  Jabbering on and on about how to catch a pokemon he started demonstrating to me again.  "I get it" I said.  "I already know how," I said.  He just wouldn't listen.  Finally I couldn't take it anymore, I thrust my medal in front of me and shouted,

"I'm the damned champion! I've caught almost every pokemon there is.  I think I know how to use a damn pokeball!!!"

Big Mistake.  The crowds heard the word "champion" and almost instantly started for me.  Kids wanting autographs, adults wanting to hear about it, and trainers wanting to prove their worth.

"Pidgeotto, Let's get out of here!" I yelled frantically, and before the fortune seekers could reach me, we were gone.  "Cinnabar Island," I whispered in his ear, "Let's get away from people for a while."  As soon as we landed, I ran for the nearest shoreline.  "Blastoise!  Surf!"  Safer with the wild pokemon than the crazed fans, I thought.
Boy, was I wrong.

We had barely begun to float along the shoreline when a pokemon jumped out at me.  At least, that's what I think it was.  Instead of a solid being, the air in front of me just shimmered.  Too solid to be a mirage, but too strange to be anything else.  I stood, transfixed by it's odd beauty.  I opened my pokedex to see what it had to say:

Missing No.  Pokemon number 000.  It is a....thzzt...crck...sszzszz...


The screen went black, and a purple smoke began to spew from the side.  I didn't know much about this pokemon, but I knew I wanted it.

The battle was fierce.  Fire, water, air, lightning, psychic blasts: I threw everything I had at this unknown creature.  It's eerie shimmer began to fade and I knew that it was weak.  I struck swiftly and accurately.  I threw an ultra ball at it and hit it dead on.  The distortion of reality that was Missing No. was pulled into the ultra ball and began to fall. I jumped off of my blastoise and caught it in mid-air.  As I treaded water I watched the ball with bated breath.  It shook in my palm:

Once...

Twice...

Ka-ching!

I had caught the mysterious Missing No.  I was the greatest pokemon trainer EVER!  Then, as I began to swim back to blastoise I began to sink.  I was getting heavier.  I felt all over myself to find the source of the extra weight.  My head went under and I felt the bulge in my pack.
The iron in my sixth pocket was multiplying.

I struggled with the buckle on the front, but I couldn't release it.  My blastoise swam down and grabbed me, but I was too heavy.  As the daylight drifted so far away from me, I hugged my blastoise one more time as my salty tears mixed with the sea water.  If only I had known.

I would have put rare candy in that pocket.

But I suppose that was the whole point.  It was my avarice that led me down this road.  I was haughty and the penalty for my hubris...was death.

4 comments:

  1. Instead of wiki's we get Pokemon? There's a reason God didn't name any of the days of the week with P's (yes, of course God named the days of the week) and it was just to avoid this. If god wanted Pokemon Wednesday then the fourth day of the week would be Plursday (no not Pednesday, that would be stupid). Well at least you're updating again, that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Tad, if you noticed the hyperlinked Wiki Wednesday at the beginning, you would see that it links straight to a wikipedia article. I would not betray wiki wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the irony in god naming the days of the week after heathen gods like Woden, Thor, and Fria.

    ReplyDelete