Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Onion parmesan dressing

Yeah.  Real original title.  I know.

Anyway, here is a brief (underwear) post to reintroduce everyone to Tasty Tuesdays.  Last weekend my fiancee and I were shopping and I saw a delicious looking bottle of creamy onion parmesan dressing.  I didn't buy it but when we got home I said to myself: "Myself!"

"What?" I replied angstily.

"That dressing looked good.  Go make me some."  I continued.

"Okay."  I responded, shrugging my shoulders.

So here we are.  Now the first thing you should know about making your own salad dressings is a handy rule of thumb I learned from my man Jaime "The Naked Chef" Oliver:  3:1 oil:acid ratio is what you're shooting for.  This is especially helpful for thinner dressings where you are actually using oil as your fatty portion.  This dressing is creamy, however, so I personally just made the ratio based on taste.  Do with that what you will.

Ingredients:

  • Mayonaisse (If you so much as think about using Miracle Whip instead, I will burn you in a fire.  They are interchangeable on sandwiches.  That's it.)
  • Vinegar
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Pepper
  • Diced Onion (Use the dried kind found with the spices instead of fresh so that you don't have to worry about the extra liquid.  Unless you're only making enough for the one salad you're having and there won't be any left over.  Then it's probably fine either way.)


Add mayonaisse to a bowl; approximately equivalent to the amount of dressing you want.
Add vinegar to the mayonaisse until the dressing base until it has the amount of tangy-ness you desire.  Remember the 3:1 rule and don't add too much to start.  You can always add more, taking some out is a lot harder.
Mix until smooth and uniform
Add a little pepper so you can see the little colored bits throughout.  Kind of like peppercorn ranch dressing that you see in the store.
Add the diced onion.  Actually, onion powder would work too.  Keep testing the taste to make sure it's just right.  Again, try to add enough to evenly disperse throughout without being over whelming.
Add grated parmesan cheese.  This part you can do more easily by taste since the cheese will almost combine with the dressing base and act to thicken it.
Once you have the appropriate consistency and flavor, you're done!  Add to a salad of spinach, kale, or whatever your favorite leaf vegetable may be.  Use it with carrot sticks or celery.  Heck, bathe in it for all I care.  I'm not there.  No one's judging you.  Just go nuts buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment