Monday, April 12, 2010

The return of Soup Boy!

Hey kids,

I'm back.  Mostly.  It's been really busy around here.  Classes and research are both picking up and they are heavy mistresses to bear (bare?).  Anyway, I'll try to get something up according to schedule but I warn you: it may not be pretty.

Any-whojamachalit, Leigh Ann and I went to see HTTYD this weekend.  For those of you who failed your acronymonics midterm that stands for How To Train Your Dragon (not to be confused with Happy Turtles Take Your Drugs).  It is the newest computer animated movie from dreamworks.

The story revolves around a young viking named Hiccup and his encounter with a dragon who he dubs "toothless."  Hiccup does not hiccup and Toothless has teeth which begs the question: Who picked these names?

Answer: Cressidia Cowell (I don't know if that's spelled right and I don't right care at this juncture of my life).

Yes, it is a movie based on a series of books by author Cressidia Cowell.  The movie is absolutely amazing and is going on my list-of-movies-to-buy-when-they-come-out-and-I-have-the-money-list.  Not only is the computer animation very good, but the story and voice actors were great as well.

As with any movie based on a book, it did not follow the story at all.  From what we could determine after watching the movie and looking up information on the book, however, the book sucked and should be thankful that Dreamworks made it awesome.  I didn't actually ever read the book, which means that I am definitely justified in making this wide, sweeping assumption.

Also, while in the movie a mother with two young children was sitting behind us.  Her son decided he would start voicing his opinion about everything on the screen about halfway through the film (when the action started picking up).  This all came to a climax when a really badass dragon came on screen to which he excitedly yelled, "Holy Crap!  That thing's a dinosaur!!!" as if that explained why it was so awesome.   I kid you not, I almost snapped right then.

To this moment I still don't know what's worse: the fact that I wanted to yell at a 5 year old, or the fact that I wanted to yell:
 "DRAGON'S ARE WAY COOLER THAN DINOSAURS YOU STUPID $#!%!!!"

4 comments:

  1. One day he has to learn that Dinosaurs suck compared to dragons

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! That's what I'm saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He had Intelligence -5.

    And it was pretty much the most awesome movie in the history of ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have talked you into it. Probably could of gotten you to throw pop in his face too. Also dragons are better than dinosaurs. Fire beats laser so fire beats dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete