Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nathan Lane owes me millions.

Tonight's Wiki Wednesday is brought to you by my good friend Reed who directed me to this:

The Lions Sleeps Tonight has an interesting history.

Originally called "Mbube" by it's writer (and initial recorder) Soloman Linda it has been sung by many over the years.  Linda was given the shaft and payed a one time fee instead of normal author royalties.  The famous chorus of "Wimoweh" is actually a mistake, caused by a mishearing of the original chorus "uyimbube" which means you're a lion.  This means Timon and Pumbaa are stupidly singing "You're a lion, You're a lion" in horribly mistranslated African during the movie.  Stupid jungle animals, listen to Elton John.

The song is based on an old African legend about the king Shaka Zulu whose pro-wrestler name was "The Lion."  They say that when the Europeans invaded he simply fell asleep (instead of dying) and will awaken some day to exact his Buffalo Loined Vengance.  Of course, if my leader decided at the critical moment to go to sleep while his people were being conquered, I would probably prefer thinking he was dead.  You know, instead of being a jerk who abandoned everyone for 40 winks.

In 1982 the most popular version this song ever was performed and released by the group "Tight Fit."  And this is why it was so popular:


Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sudden urge to go and make some bread.

2 comments:

  1. If we go to Baby's some time we can play it on the jukebox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I even busta the Juka-box!

    Name that movie!

    ReplyDelete